Hi! I am Rajat, and I have started reading books and novels a few days ago...
THIS IS HOW I STARTED.
Before we start, I want to share something with you, Since my childhood, I never really liked reading. I considered it a waste of time.
Even in the free time I got, Instead of reading something, I preferred sitting for long hours in front of screens. Hurting the eyes. Damaging the brain! Spoiling myself!
So, basically, I was not into reading. It was not just my kind of activity! I couldn't imagine myself turning the leafs of a classic novella just because somebody very old (maybe dead!) has written it. Why should I?
Obviously! Result was not good. I didn't have a good vocabulary. I couldn't express myself in front of people. I hesitated speaking among them!
Something had to be done!
So! One day at school, during a free class, out of boredom, I decided to go to an even boring
My Head Spun!
So, I wished the librarian good Morning and sat down with a newspaper in hand. She looked at me in amazement as if she was scrutinizing me through those oval and thick glasses. Somehow, I ignored her and started reading the newspaper.
5 minutes done- I kept the newspaper on the table and advanced towards the door
The librarian stopped me. She asked, did you read the newspaper? I said Yes Ma'am. She asked what did you read.
(I actually didn't read anything. I was staring at pics. Pics of Messi being compared to an Alien! Ronaldo winning the Golden Shoe! Tendulkar commenting something. The New Marvel movie, Stuff, and gir.. ahemm.. Yes Stuff.)
She asked again, this time a bit loudly, So. Tell me What did you read in these 5 minutes?
Me: (Head Down) Nothing Miss.
She: I Knew son. Go sit there.
She came back with A Book in hand.
She: Have you watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone?
Me: Yes Ma'am.
The Conversation was followed with some quick questions asked left unanswered.
She: Who is Sirius?
Me: ----
She: What is the history of Quidditch?
Me: ----
She: Ron's brother's Names?
Me: ----
She: (Handing me the book) Here, this book is written by J.K Rowling and it is the first book of the harry Potter series.
| This was the Book Cover. |
Me: Harry Potter series has Books?
Yes I was that dumb!
She: Read it and write a book report on it.
Me: (Cursing Myself!) Okay Ma'am. Smiled and went out.
Threw the book in the bag and forgot about it.
The Weekend was nearing, My schedule was already prepared- football matches to be watched, movies to be watched, Homework to be done, etc.
The Book was nowhere near in my schedule.
So, on Friday, This happened:
~Finished the homework
~Studied a bit too!
~Played football with friends
~Prepared the Social Science project work. Real fast.
There was still some time left in the match. So I decided to do something which was not in my schedule.
I decided to READ.
Took out the book. Stared at the cover and started reading. It was a bit of struggle initially, but I kept on going!
For the first time in my life, I felt that I was enjoying reading a book. Time passed really fast. So, did the pages of the book.
I was meeting people whom the world has admired and praised, the people who never really existed, and even though have earned praise, respect, love and appreciation from all over the world.
The Dursley Family, The Potters, prof. Dumbledore Sir, Rubeus Hagrid, prof. McGonagall, Hermione, Ron, Harry, Malfoy, Snape, and "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!" and many more beautiful characters.
To my own surprise, I skipped the match that day.
Woke up saturday morning, started reading, I finished reading the book by sunday Afternoon.
This Picture clearly defined my feelings!
| Harry Potter Books vs The Movies! |
| Never judge a Book by its Movie! |
I thanked My Librarian Ma'am.
And asked her If I could get the second book. I got it after a month! It was such a long wait!
And Now, Reading for me is like a world which always welcomes me, greets me and makes me feel good about myself whenever I stumble my mind upon thoughts which should never wander near one's mind. I have read about 35 books.
I try to read as much as possible. It gives me new Ideas, improves my vocabulary, provide knowledge about different eras and different time periods
My English teacher once told me:
"Literature is always the reflection of the society of that era."
So, I would like to welcome you to the world of reading! Read because you can! Read!
Because:
Because:
"Reading is always fun!"
I am coming back soon!
Share your views in the comments!

No comments:
Post a Comment